Monday, July 13, 2009

Revelation of the Virgin to the Artist Series




Ok. So I haven't painted in roughly four months. Upon gearing up for the upcoming Tiffany Sage and Family art show I began this series. It didn't start as a series. I was throwing some paint around one day and saw the image of Our Lady of Guadalupe in one of the pieces. I decided to run with it as an exploration of iconic imagery and the many meanings and significances that it has had to people and cultures throughout history. After doing some reading on the subject I am fascinated by the way many indigenous cultures adopted iconic images of the catholic saints as representations of their own gods and goddesses. This subversive form of worship is the background and inspiration of this series.

Here are three of four (maybe five?) pieces that will be included in the series. These pieces are all still in progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment