Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Work in Progress





Some more progress on my sky and sea painting, as well as a start on a new piece, also of sky and sea. These paintings are a nice departure from my previous work. They are requiring more attention to detail, time, and direction than I have had to exert for prior works. I am sure after these, I will be looking forward to my established processes. For now though, these are a pleasant and fruitful distraction.

For the top painting I began with Cedar Key, FL in mind. I recently went there for a weekend with my partner Shannon and the amazing time we had gave me a desire to relive it through a painting. Really subjective paintings like this are not typical of my process. The departure is a result of my impulsive nature. I am still allowing my instinct lead this painting. It is a bit darker than the weather was while we were there. This is just a preliminary "sketch" of this painting. I expect alot to change, but am pleased with what is on the canvas so far.

The other, more colorful, painting is shown in a few different variations. I also whited out the original sea, not pictured. There was no particular reason for the whiting out, just curious about how it would look. I am very happy to see the background color back in place. Kind of wondering where to go now though.

No comments:

Post a Comment